To fortune man is just a pawn,
And till from earth he's dead and gone,
A happy life he hasn't led
For Dest'ny cares not where we tread
In life, she is a terrible judge.
If you're at peace she'll give a nudge
Then soon you're wealth she'll confiscate
And leave you poor to speculate
Why fate has been so cruel

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Some Thoughts on Music

Well. Well well well. I haven't posted for quite some time. I wonder if it's the time. Last week was TeenPact, which I always enjoy greatly (This was my third year attending). I won a position as Representative, which is just a title, and I had to give a speech at graduation. Well, I used to be the quiet kid who never talks and is super shy... Lately I've found I enjoy public speaking, and I'm not really that shy anymore. I guess God has something in store for me.

Unfortuneatly, I haven't worked on my story for a few weeks, but I hope to start up my quota again, because the next few weeks will be pretty much normal. Then I have an internet marketing conference with my dad, and nationals in Oklahoma city.

Lately I've been thinking about the music thing. Yeah. The music thing.

This is a very controversial topic. I must say, I'm surprised how many conservative homeschooled kids are vehemently against music (especially rock) being bad for you. They seem to not want to believe it, I dunno, probably cause they like it. They don't want it to be true, so it can't possibly be true. I listen to it (unfortunately for me), but I wouldn't get so upset if people would just admit it's bad. I mean, if you smoke, then you don't justify it by saying "Smoking isn't bad for me, heck, it's probably good for me. At any rate, it doesn't affect me." It's this rebellious spirit that I dislike most.

Another thing that I'm surprised at is how many teens so vehemently dislike classical music. last Friday I went to an ice-hockey game to do a demo. I'm part of my Martial Art's school's demo team, so we went and did the demo, and stayed for the game. One of the guys, whom I very much enjoy talking to, is named Adam. He must be 18, and he's going off to join the marines in June. He drove me to the thing and back, and we got to talking about the subject of music. I was very surprised to find that he holds pretty much the same view I hold: classical music is good for the brain, especially for babies and early development. Another thing thing he said was, was that classical music is the base. He said he'd never met a good musician who wasn't grounded in that base of classical music. If you can't appreciate classical music, how can you then appreciate rock, or any other contemporary music? (As a sidenote, we were listening to blaring rock during this conversation). But he's right. Classical music is the very foundation of music. How can you listen to rock and whatnot if you hate classical?

Something else about music. How bad is secular rock? How much do the lyrics matter? I was discussing this with someone, and that person was strongly against secular rock, but also thought that Christian was not bad, or even good. All this was based off of the lyrics. What is in your head comes out of your mouth, so if you're thinking about all the things secular rock talks about, and all the swearing and stuff, it's bound to manifest itself in your actions and words. That was the argument. This got me to thinking, because lately, I've started listening to secular rock (quite against my better judgment I might add). I have to say this again, but the Christian music community is not that talented. But how much does secular rock affect you? Well, I suppose it depends on the person, but I find myself singing lines to songs I listen to, almost withouth thinking about it. Of course, I would never (at least at this point) swear. But... who knows, maybe it will wear me down, and someday I'll start swearing. It seems unlikely to me, but you never know how far you can fall.

Well, that was quite a long post. I noticed that that first part was rather irrelevant... pertaining to my life and such. The stuff that I'm not supposed to write about because it's boring, and no one cares (Or at least, I wouldn't care if it was someone else, hehe). I will try to keep that to a minimum, but I sort of had to start it off that way, to get the words flowing, and I'm not gonna delete it. No idea why.

No comments: