To fortune man is just a pawn,
And till from earth he's dead and gone,
A happy life he hasn't led
For Dest'ny cares not where we tread
In life, she is a terrible judge.
If you're at peace she'll give a nudge
Then soon you're wealth she'll confiscate
And leave you poor to speculate
Why fate has been so cruel

Monday, January 29, 2007

Cloning

Today, I happened to hear some brief points covered in a conversational manner about cloning. One of them is not religious. I mean, he knows about christianity and atheism and stuff, but he doestn' really care. The other, I'm not exactly sure, but I think he leans a little more to the Christian side. Well, anyways, a disscussion was started about cloning. I think that it was generally agreed that human cloning is bad, at least in a complete way.

Okay. Say you have a kid. That kid has Down's syndrome, or something like that. It is ok, and probably even 'right' (If this was possible at least) to geneticly modify the person so as to get rid of the problem. But to completely clone a person is just like... weird... so it probably shouldn't be done (maybe there's something in the conscience that just says it's wrong, I don't know)

Is that the right take? No. Let me repeat that. No, it is not the right take. The first flaw in that reasoning is that it is not from a Christian perspective. I mean, I'm sure 99% of Christians would agree that cloning is bad. But why is that? Say someone said, 'I think cloning is a good thing. We can make lower-intelligence people to do all the dirty work. It would be great.' You would most likely say,
'No, cloning is bad! We should avoid it! Baaaaaaad!' But then, the other person says, 'Why is it bad? I don't see anything wrong with it.' How would you reply to that? 'Um, well, because it feels wrong.'
I'm afraid that just won't cut it, and the other person will walk away laughing at you and your up-tight religious ethics.

Now, you're probably sitting there thinking, "Oh, cool, he's going to tell me what's wrong with cloning! Now I can know how to reply to that question, and not have to walk away ruefully wondering why cloning is bad." I'm afraid I don't have the answers you're looking for. You see, I was listening the disscussion above above (which by the way didn't last that long, and there was no heated debate or anything), and I was thinking, "Cloning is bad. Stay away. Evil." You know, the little beeper in the back of my head went off. Cloning = bad. As I was about to voice my opinion, I realized that I had no solid arguments against cloning. This made me think. What is bad about cloning? Is there anything wrong with it? I mean, it's just taking DNA making a person... what's wrong with that? I then came to the conclusion that cloning is fine, and there are no reasons that it's bad or unethical to a Christian. I mean think about it.

Did I scare you? No, that's not what I think. But to answer these sorts of things, you have to ask those sorts of questions.

Ok, so, cloning is taking something and copying it. But not just any old thing. A living thing. That is the key. Basicly, you're playing God. What's wrong with that you ask? Well, just look at where Satan ended up. He wanted to be like God and look at what happened to him. Sure don't envy him. Maybe if we create lower-intelligence beings, then we'll have to make them worship us, or they won't work for us. I dunno. That doesn't sound to good, but just think of where things could lead. Not good. You could also go the other way and accidentally create something you don't want. Maybe a super-genius psycopathic murderer who has an insatiable lust for taking human life... I don't know. Just look at all the movies and books and stories about things like that.

Well, I have to go and get myself ready for bed. It messes me all up if I don't go to bed early enough, and then that messes up the entire week... but, I will write another post continuing that thought when I have time. Maybe tommorow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have come to a decision about your blog:It is too serious!Well not really but you could write about some fun stuff.Like stuff that happened to you.Everything on here so far is your writtings and your beliefs.Anyways I just posted this song on mine that I really like and you should go listen to it.

Tory

Santeyio said...

I don't get it... how come you always say 'jk', but you're not... It's really weird and you should probably stop. But whoever wants to hear about my LIFE? Now that's a true waste of time, writing about that. And I've already stated I'm not going to waste time... I mean, it serves not purpose.

Santeyio said...

I guess in this case it wasn't jk, it was, 'well, not really'

I mean, just state your opinion...