To fortune man is just a pawn,
And till from earth he's dead and gone,
A happy life he hasn't led
For Dest'ny cares not where we tread
In life, she is a terrible judge.
If you're at peace she'll give a nudge
Then soon you're wealth she'll confiscate
And leave you poor to speculate
Why fate has been so cruel

Saturday, January 27, 2007

FPSs and RPGs

War is so cool. I want to be a soldier when I grow up, and have a gun, and shoot people, just like in my video games!

Man. How are these games affecting us. I just want to say, they are not doing anything good, at least from a Christian perspective. If you're an atheist, well, then heck, don't read any further. I have heard people (christian teens and adults) say that these games only affect you as much as you let them. If you're a sensitive person, or are more prone to violence, or whatever... I mean, I don't really get their point. How you can think that? First of all, they affect everybody the same. Maybe some people are better at containing it, but it most CERTAINLY does have an effect. It desensitizes you (and there have been studies on this). You just don't react to violence anymore. It's like it's... gosh... NORMAL.

All of the above shouldn't even be in question. The question isn't 'is it going to adversely affect me', it's, 'Does GOD want me to be dwelling on this'. I mean, I don't know of anywhere in the Bible where it says we should be pretending to go around shooting, knifing, grenading, machine gunning, hacking, sawing, stabbing, slicing, and otherwise mutilating other human beings... or aliens or creatures or animals for that matter... I think I must be missing something. And it must be pretty big...
*goes off scratching head, wondering what is missing*

*comes back after an hour of meditation still confused*

Well, I think that there should be a major video game reform... oh no, wait, maybe we should just GET RID OF THEM. Hum, that would seem to solve the problem. I'm sure if certain people read the previous sentence, they might have a bit of an adverse reaction (e.g. jaw drops, excess saliva secretions might drip from the mouth, eyes might boggle abnormally, body would go limp, or maybe they would have a sesiure... you know, the normal surprise reactions). But if you think about it... how can video games be good? I mean... Really, you'd have to stretch things to make an argument... and it'd probably look like a pea to a star if you compared the two. Sure, I play video games. I'd even play M shooters if my parents let me (or any old one for that matter), but they don't. I know it's bad... but somehow, my better judgement isn't strong enough yet. Well, that's what God made parents for.
*sighs and wonders whatever he would do without his parents*

No comments: