To fortune man is just a pawn,
And till from earth he's dead and gone,
A happy life he hasn't led
For Dest'ny cares not where we tread
In life, she is a terrible judge.
If you're at peace she'll give a nudge
Then soon you're wealth she'll confiscate
And leave you poor to speculate
Why fate has been so cruel

Monday, January 29, 2007

Sea Fever

Note, I did not write this poem. I memorize poems every week, and this is one of them. I liked it so much, that I just have to post it. I love the rhythm it has. it's just so... perfect... I guess. Make sure you read it ALOUD. All poetry should always be read ALOUD. If you don't believe me ask... um... anyone who knows anything about poetry.

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a gray mist, on th sea's face, and a gray dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the winds like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

2 comments:

Testing said...

That poem is kewel.

Anonymous said...

i had to memorize this poem for my poetry class this year so yea. Its odd that you like it because I've personally grown bored of it.